Summer Chromebook Storage Best Practices 2019 (KMS, MHHS, & Teachers)
Complete the following to safely store your district Chromebook over the Summer:
With a new season upon us, Dell wants to share the Google recommended steps to prepare your Chromebook inventory for storage over long periods. Following these steps will help to avoid charging or battery related issues when the Chromebooks are put back into service.
Best practice prior to long term storage:
- Update to the latest version of the Chrome OS and charge your Chromebook so that the battery is at least 80% full.
- This ensures that even when the battery discharges while unplugged over the summer, it won’t fully run out of power.
- Connect the device to a charger and turn it on.
- Hold Refresh and Power at the same time.
- While holding these keys, remove the power cable from device and then release the keys. The device should shut down and remain off.
- Attempt to power the unit on using the power button. If the unit does not power on, you have completed the steps and can safely store the system. If the unit powers on, you should repeat steps 2 through 4.
- Connect the Chromebook to a charger and a power source, which will get them out of the battery disconnect state. Power up your device.
- Connect your Chromebook to WiFi and update them to the latest Chrome OS release.
- This can take time, as multiple Chrome OS versions may have been released since the last time the device was updated.
Google provides additional communication related to the storing process which can be found here: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9139543.
Also, additional information can be found under Dell knowledge base article, SLN308522, via the following link: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308522
Dell provides a standard one-year warranty on batteries. Failure to follow the steps provided above could cause your batteries to reach a critically low charge, when the device is stored for long periods of time and could result in permanent failure of the battery.